Wednesday 3 July 2019

Travel to the Dominican Republic

The Dominican Republic is a Caribbean nation that shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti to the west. It's known for its beaches, resorts and golfing. Its terrain comprises rainforest, savannah and highlands, including Pico Duarte, the Caribbean’s tallest mountain. Capital city Santo Domingo has Spanish landmarks like the Gothic Catedral Primada de America dating back 5 centuries in its Zona Colonial district.
Until things exploded the last month Dominican Republic travel was very popular among North Americans. I stayed there myself April 2018 for our Annual Conference. I have confidentially sent clients there the last several years since I branched out in what I sell travel wise.With everything in the news today you will have no doubt seen the articles relating to incidents in the Dominican and the travel advisories put out by both Canada and the United States. Travel bookings numbers have gone down and travel cancellations have gone up.

Punta Cana

The first incident many people heard about was the report on Facebook from a couple who traveled to the Majestic Colonial resort and the wife was found beaten in a stairwell. She believes it was a staff member who did and was walking by herself. A police investigation was made. The couple claimed that nothing was being done and took it upon themselves to inform the world. The resorts statement claims that they refused to co-operate with police and their is some indication it may actually have been a domestic dispute and they could not comment further while it was under investigation. So of course it is the classic he says she says situation.


I stayed at this resort myself and I felt very safe there. I did find a few hallways a bit dark but for the most part I was travelling around with other people only once or twice on my own in the evening. I leave in the country not a city and I do not really walk alone at night out here either even though are crime rates are very low. I just do not do it as a women and I do not encourage my daughters to do it either. For me this is common sense no matter where you may be.
After this made waves there were reports of 3 deaths said to both have come from the same resort. The first a woman who had collapsed and dies in her room shortly after arrival and apparently after having something to drink from her mini bar. The second a couple is found dead in their room after they miss their checkout and it is confirmed they had, had drinks from the minibar. First they actually occurred at two different Bahia Principe Resorts of which there are a dozen spread across the Dominican. Second there official cause of death have yet to be released by the police so at the moment everything is still speculation on everyone's side. In the case of the lady her family assumes her death is related to a know heart condition. The couples death is being blamed on tainted alcohol by their family.  The US government has now reported their are more deaths of Americans that need to be investigated.
While I do not know the full facts I am also not going to jump to any conclusions. Again these things can happen anywhere you travel and right at home. I am not saying not to travel or to travel I am simply suggesting you make an informed decision and do your own research when it comes to these things.
At the moment this is what is says about travel to the Dominican Republic on the Canadian Government website. Exercise a high degree of caution in the Dominican Republic due to a high crime rate.
They are not telling you not to travel they are simply telling you to take precautions and to be safe.
If you are price cautious this may actually be a good time to travel as with the drop in travel prices my actual work in your favour. If you have any questions or concerns about travel to the Dominican Republic please contact me and I will be happy to help.


Where you can find me:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/stephaniethetravelagentnextdoor
Website: http://www.exclusivetoyoutravel.ca
Email: slough@exclusivetoyoutravel.ca

TICO 50021282
55 York Street, Suite 1003
Toronto, On M5J 1R7
Office Phone 416-367-8264 ext 2625
Direct Phone 613-543-3006

Please keep in mind that while my head office is in Toronto. I am a home based travel agent and I live in South Dundas and I can service clients anywhere in Canada. But, I meet with clients in the SD&G area

No comments:

Post a Comment