Wednesday 5 June 2019

Travelling with Allergies

Travelling with Allergies, food sensitives or being different than the average bear can be a challenge. I am very lucky I do not fall into this category and I am not a very picky eater. I do not like eggplant but do eat it occasionally if it is mixed in with something else. Since pregnancy eggs do not always agree with me. I could not eat them at all when pregnant now it is a hit or miss but again if I throw Salsa on it and if that is not available ketchup I can usually get them down. But these are relatively easy things to deal with and honestly something I can manage on my own.
But imagine having an anaphalatic allergy to something that if you eat it you can die.The most common one we hear about at least in schools is Peanuts. But there are many of them. Shellfish is another big one. These allergies should not and do not mean you can not travel they just mean that you may have to take a few extra precautions. Buffets are hard for people with allergies because of cross contamination so order from restaurants with menus is usually the best bet.

Food Allergens

First thing to do is ask friends, family and your travel agent for recommendations on where they have traveled especially if they have allergies as well. Keep in mind these work for celiac's who must avoid gluten. lactose intolerant and vegetarians/vegans just to name a few. Before travelling ask your doctor to write extra prescriptions for anything you may need such as an epipen or any drug you may take and even take a moment to learn the generic and name brands for them in the country you will be visiting.
celiac Disease

Vegan

Language can be your biggest barrier. As a travel agent I usually deal with the suppliers and the resort/cruise line etc directly to make sure everyone is aware of your needs before you even get there. Travelling with a card in the language of where you are going explaining your dietary needs is strongly suggested. You can provide it to the wait staff at the restaurants, Make sure you are aware of the emergency facilities available for you. Manulife Insurance who I use for clients Insurance needs has an app that provides you with this information and is very easy to use.

example of an allergy card

There are many all inclusive resorts that are know for being great with dealing with allergies:
1. Grand Paladium Bavaro Suites
2. Zoetry Resorts
3. Couples Resorts
4. Dreams Dominicus
5. Moon Palace Resorts
6. Grand Velas Riviera Nyarit
Note that Zoetry, Couples and Dreams are all owned by the same parent resort which just goes to show you there are resorts out there who are willing to help people realize their travel dreams while keeping them healthy and safe.
One of our head office staff members has severe allergies too many things and has become vegan as that is the easiest lifestyle for him to adapt to deal with them. He has traveled with us on the last three Travel Agent Next Door conferences. I will be honest and did not realize in the cruise he had food issues. However the second year in Dominican Republic at the Majestic Colonial Resort I know he struggled to find things to eat and seating with other people who had food allergies they mentioned getting the wrong foods or not always having choice etc.. This past year our conference was outside of Puerto Plata at the Iberostar Playa Mita and I know that this year he had a much better time with food options etc and hardly any complaints. Even other people with allergies etc were well looked after. Now while not having allergies myself I can feel confident discussing these two resorts based on personally feedback. Moon Palace is on that list above as being a top six choice and I will be heading to Moon Palace Jamaica next April and look forward to seeing how well they treat food issues.
So please do not let these issues stop you from travelling but do make sure you book with a travel professional who can better guide you on the steps you should take for travelling and what ate the best places to experience.


Where you can find me:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/stephaniethetravelagentnextdoor
Website: http://www.exclusivetoyoutravel.ca
Email: slough@exclusivetoyoutravel.ca

TICO 50021282
55 York Street, Suite 1003
Toronto, On M5J 1R7
Office Phone 416-367-8264 ext 2625
Direct Phone 613-543-3006

Please keep in mind that while my head office is in Toronto. I am a home based travel agent and I live in South Dundas and I can service clients anywhere in Canada. But, I meet with clients in the SD&G area

No comments:

Post a Comment