Friday 12 August 2022

Group Travel - Reasons

 On Thursday, July 14th my Aunt Anne Boileau passed away at the young age of 66. She was the wife of my father's younger brother. The thing that bothers me the most about her death is the fact that I have not seen my aunt and uncle or my cousin in well over 10 years. The last time I saw them was at the St Laurent mall when I worked for ING Direct which moved in March 2012.  It was a short chat. Our last real visit would have been for Sabrina's birthday a year after she was the flower girl at my wedding which was July 2002. 


Oh, wait I would have seen them at my grandmother's funeral in May of 2009. What covid and this death made me realize is how we let so much get in the way of enjoying life and our family. When I was younger I spent a lot of time visiting my Aunt and Uncle they would even take me to Fort Coulunge with them to Anne's parent's farm for weekends away where I would be spoiled dearly by Anne's siblings and parents.  I wonder why did life get in the way of such connections.

This is why I love traveling with my friends and family with our kids. So we can take time out and enjoy the moments and each other's company and experience new things at the same time. My dad is no longer able to fly but my mom travel's with me when she can. My best friend and I will be traveling with her son and my middle daughter next July on a graduation milestone cruise. I have been at Disney at the same time as friends and met up and spent a day together with her youngest two and my youngest two so that the older kids could do older things together. I want more of this in my life.

So this gets me back to group travel and reasons. Family, friends, and connections that is what they are. Milestones, weddings, honeymoons, graduations, big birthdays, or anniversaries. All very good reasons to get away together.  I offered each child when they graduate from high school a trip. My oldest takes her 14-day cruise in November. My second oldest is on a 14-day cruise to Japan in July 2023. The youngest daughter has asked for a Hawaii cruise which will be summer of 2025 and my youngest loves giraffes and has asked for Africa with a stay at the giraffe hotel which will be in 2027. I can not wait to experience these bucket list-worthy places with each of them.

Take a moment and think of what you want to do and see in the world. What is holding you back? Is it money? Is it time? Payment plans are always available for most travel if you book far enough out. I also often hear about waiting for retirement and I will admit I have started cringing about this. In my new day job, I work for Brockville's paratransit. I have met people who have been struck by debilitating illnesses or medical issues. People who were waiting for retirement and something happened. We need to stop putting things off. Find the time, find the money. Even if you travel every couple of years do something and do not let time get away from you.

On a bit of a lighter note, I read an article recently about a British woman who took to social media (anonymously) to post about the goings on about her family vacation at a cottage and how much she hated being away, with the extended family. I am sure many of you can relate to this. The annoying mother-in-law, spoiled kids, the dog that does not listen the list goes on and on. But this is where group travel differs from the cottage. You do not have to be that close together. You can have your own room and suites which give you more space. You are not cooking together. You can choose different restaurants and do individual meals vs groups. With many activities, you can spread yourselves out based on your own likes and dislikes.

So my question to all of you What changes are you going to make in your life over the next year? Meet these goals. Spend more time with family and friends. Enjoy life!!! Take a break


Where you can find me:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/stephaniethetravelagentnextdoor

TikTok: StephanieTTAND
Website: http://www.exclusivetoyoutravel.ca
Email: slough@exclusivetoyoutravel.com

TICO 50021282
55 York Street, Suite 1003
Toronto, On M5J 1R7
Office Phone 416-367-8264 ext 2625
Direct Phone 343-998-6387

Please keep in mind that while my head office is in Toronto. I am a home-based travel agent and I live in Brockville I can service clients anywhere in Canada. But, I meet with clients in the SD&G area. I will still meet my clients in this area as well as in Leeds and Grenville.

No comments:

Post a Comment