Tuesday 17 October 2017

Royal Freedom of the Seas

As many of you may remember my last cruise which was also my first cruise was back in April aboard the NCL Escape. This was also a working cruise it was my agency's conference. So I am going to warn you now that there will be most likely comparisons between NCL Escape and Royal's Freedom of the Sea. As I add more cruising experiences to my portfolio there will be more comparisons as it is human nature.
So the Freedom of the Seas is an older Royal Ship. It is smaller than the Escape but none the less was still very impressive. We boarded the ship and of course rooms are not usually ready to 1:00 pm or later so we headed for lunch. The only real place to eat was Windjammer Cafe which is there Buffet Restaurant.








They have many stations for you to try out. This was lunch so there were soups, sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, pasta stations, salads you name it. It was however extremely busy. It is big but when it is one of the only options for food and close to 3000 people boarding the ship it can be crazy. Needless to say I got to see an unpleasant situation among passengers that was successfully resolved by the wait staff. People vacated the table beside us and the wait staff cleaned it up a man and his wife took them table seated 4 or 5. Wife went off to get her food. Husband was hovering by the table. Back turned he wondered a bit and a family of five tried to grab the table. All Spanish speaking. They were fighting over the table and the family of five figured because there weer more of them they should automatically have the table. The wait staff who had given the table to the couple tried to deal with the issue but the larger family did not speak English. A wait staff member who spoke Spanish came to the rescue the original couple retained their seats and a new table was found for the other family. I figured with people coming from all over, some probably really hungry and tired if that was the only incident I saw then not bad.
Now all of my breakfasts except for one where at the buffet and some lunches when I was not on an excursion and some snacks. We had no suppers here at all. I have to say I was not overly impressed with the food. Yes there was lots of choice but I found most of breakfast selections were cold when I was eating the, (this did not stop me from eating). I am not a big egg eater but I decided I would try the eggs Benedict as I tend to love them however  I could not eat them as they were very hard  poached and you could really smell the vinegar. On the NCL Escape all of my breakfasts and most of my lunch and snacks were at the buffet as well. I have to say I never felt my food was cold and their Eggs Benedict were awesome with several combinations available.
After eating we were able to head to our room which is great as I needed some down time. We had a cocktail party set up for 8:00 pm to meet our fellow Seminar at Sea participants/guests and then supper at 9:00 pm in the main dinning room. We had the second supper seating all week which was part of why I found myself so tired at the end of the day.
In my next post I will tell you all about the Stateroom and I have to tell you that in this case Royal beat NCL hands down. Stay tuned....

Want to connect with me:
www.facebook.com/stephaniethetravelagentnextdoor
www.exclusivetoyoutravel.com or www.exclusivetoyoutravel.ca

slough@exclsuivetoyoutravel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment