Wednesday 5 July 2017

Travelling to Disney with Kids

So I finished off my last post mentioning my 2011 Disney trip with my family and getting ready for 2018. In 2011 Victoria was 7, Elizabeth was 6, Katherine was 3 and Daniel was 2 1/2. My nephew Bradley was just shy of his 9th birthday.
We chose the second last week of August for a few reasons. Summer vacation was the easiest to get the eleven of us together. My kids and my brother's son were in different school boards so they had different start times for the new school year. Also almost all American schools had re-started so we only had to compete in the park with other tourists.
Crowd levels can definitely play a major role in any Disney vacation and I will definitely touch on this in other posts.
Direct flights out of Ottawa in the summer do not really exist and as I am on the border of NY we made the decision to fly out of Syracuse on Jet Blue. Flying with the kids was not as painful as I thought it would be. I have heard stories of people having difficulties with their little one's which caused them to be embarrassed or mortified. Yes it is hard on the people around you but it is not like anyone is doing it on purpose and thankfully this is only a 3 hour flight. My son was bit more restless on the flight home but still it was a very positive experience. Here are my tips for flying with kids. Bring an activity bag that includes all of our some of the following:dollar store toys that are new to the child, colouring book and crayons or pencils, books to read and a tablet (depending on age). Make sure to bring some gum for them to chew to help with ear popping (again depends on age). Noise cancelling headphones if they have problem with noise. Gravol may be a good idea as well.
Going to Disney we were lucky as we had Disney Magical Express which means we did not have to try and collect luggage for eleven people when we arrived in Orlando. We simply made our way downstairs to the buses got into the line for our resort and we were on our merry way. Our luggage was collected by Disney and was delivered to our room several hours later (In your carry on luggage I suggest a bathing suit if you are not going to the parks or a change of clothes).
This is one of my reasons for why staying at Disney is so important to us. Magical Express is a godsend when travelling with young children. Recently I had to wait for a rental car at the Orlando airport. It was pre-booked but the line for pick up was about three turns long and it was after 9:00 pm. There were people in that line with young children.I thankfully was not. Everyone was exhausted and cranky it took over two hours to get our car and we still had a 3 hour drive to Miami.
I will always stay at Disney and I am more than fine with a Value Resort to do so!!
Daniel and Katherine (first flight anywhere)

No comments:

Post a Comment