Sunday 20 August 2017

What is TICO

The Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) is an organization mandated by the Ontario government to administer the Ontario Travel Industry Act, 2002 and Ontario Regulation 26/05 which governs all of the approximately 2,400 travel retailers and travel wholesalers registered in Ontario. In addition, TICO administers an industry-financed Travel Compensation Fund.
As I am a travel agent who lives and works in Ontario I am TICO Certified. Which means I had to study all of their policies and regulation and then pass their exam. I did this back in April of 2013.
My certificate

TICO is a wholly financed by registration fees paid by Ontario travel agencies and travel wholesalers. The Travel Industry Compensation Fund is financed entirely by Ontario travel industry registrants through contributions based on their sales revenues.

The Travel Industry Council of Ontario's mission is to regulate consumer protection by promoting awareness, education and compliance as part of the efficient and effective regulation of Ontario's travel industry.   We also support the mission of the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services to maintain a fair, safe and informed marketplace as it relates to Ontario's Travel Industry Act, 2002.

TICO is in the process of pushing for updates to the ACT which they have asked consumers and travel professionals to assist with. You may have seen commercials about TICO and encouraging you as consumers to book with registered agencies to make sure you are protected. Even if you live in a different province and book through a TICO agent/agency you are protected under the guidelines and can make a claim under the compensation fund if you have one.

You will notice on both my website and on my Facebook page my address is listed as being in Toronto. This is because it is mandatory by TICO that I disclose our number and the head office address. It is also why I have a Toronto number and extension and then a direct line to me (which is much faster to reach me at). As I am a home based agent I do work from home which means I am actually based in Morrisburg, Ontario. For those of you who have never heard of Morrisburg it is an hour south of Ottawa along the St Lawrence river.  Now while I am a home based travel agent I am not legally allowed to have clients come into my home to sell to them or even discuss their travel needs. I can however meet you at a local coffee shop, or your home.

So when you are booking travel make sure that whoever you chose to use that they have the TICO logo. You will see the logo on the top of my certificate and if you are ever unsure you can always check the company out on the TICO.ca website as well.

As always you can check out my websites: www.exclusivetoyoutravel.ca or www.exclusivetoyoutravel.com
www.facebook.com/stephaniethetravelagentnextdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment